Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Kabiru and His Eye Wares


Cyrus Kabiru is a Kenyan sculptor and painter creating artworks from found objects.  
i saw his works on CNN and i had to share it with you guys-
His name is Cyrus Kabiru. He is a Kenyan sculptor and a painter who creates artworks from objects he stumbles upon. He taught himself; Nice isn't it? his exclusive interview with CNN + more photos after the cut...

According to him: 
"When I woke up every morning, the first thing I'd see was trash," recalls Kabiru, whose childhood home faced a garbage heap where all of Nairobi's waste was dumped. "I used to say to my dad that when I grow up, I want to give trash a second chance."
"I don't see trash as waste," says Kabiru. "I just see the trash as a chance for creativity."
"I never did exams, I never did homework," explains Kabiru. "I used to exchange: 'you'll do my homework, I'll give you my artwork, you'll do my exam, I'll give you my artwork,' so that's how I survived in school."
"I love nature," says Kabiru. "I walk every day, I can't survive without walking," he adds. "I don't know how to sit idle."
"You get people saying, 'I grew up in the Kibera slum, I grew up in this place and this place, buy my art,'" says Kabiru.
"I want to change that -- not telling people about my problems, the poverty," he adds. "I think it's good to sell the creativity you have done, telling people you have this place [so they can come] to buy your work and see your ideas."
"If I teach grandmothers something about deforestation or taking care of nature, it's easier for grandmothers to teach their children," he says.
"My grandmother is, up to now, keep looking for a good job for me," says Kabiru. "When you visit my grandmother, she asks you whether you work," he adds. "If you say you're working, she'll ask you whether you can get an extra job for me."
 The self-taught artist, pictured wearing his creations, is best known for his "C-Stunners" range, a series of eye-catching handmade spectacles. Kabiru roams the streets of Nairobi, Kenya's capital, to collect materials he can use in his work -- everything from scrap metal and plastic to cutlery and bottle tops. In Kabiru's hands, the recycled materials are transformed into whimsical pieces of art.
 "I don't see trash as waste," says the soft-spoken artist. "I just see the trash as a chance for creativity."Kabiru grew up in a house opposite Nairobi's dumping site. "When I woke up every morning, the first thing I'd see was trash," remembers Kabiru.At high school, Kabiru would use his creations to barter with his classmates. <!-- -->
</br><!-- -->
</br>"I never did exams, I never did homework," he says. "I used to exchange; 'you'll do my homework, I'll give you my artwork.'"Today, Kabiru's work has been in shows around the world.The young artist has been invited to speak at many international events, including the TED2013 conference in Long Beach, California, and this year's Milan Fashion Week.Kabiru has also launched "Outreach," an initiative aimed at encouraging people in Kenya's rural communities to create art with recycled materials."I travel from Nairobi to the rural areas to teach them how to give trash a second chance," he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment